Yes, they finally did it. Adobe realized that the Flash Player will probably never be adapted for all the major mobile platforms, so now they are turning to HTML5. But that’s not the end of it. They will still develop Adobe AIR, with which one can recompile Flash applications for platforms like iOS.
Archive for the ‘Adobe Flash and ActionScript’ Category
Here’s a Flash application that does just that: visualize the real-time activity on the web. Sweet!
Obviously for those experienced with Adobe’s Flash, you can export or publish your projects as Windows executables or MacOS apps. But most of the time, the GUI of the resulting application will give it away as being a Flash-based one.
But now there’s an alternative! Aspire IU implements Windows GUI components, allowing for the development as real Windows apps in Flash. Try it out.
And as an incentive, here’s a freely available book on Design Patterns in ActionScript. It’s quite nicely written too and useful for most developers.
Yes, one more time going to bet and then it’s here. Adobe is releasing the new CS5 Suite of software products. Joy joy! I hope I’ll be able to download the trial and experience it asap.
It took then some months, but Google has finally announced that they started indexing the content of Flash SWF files. About time, in my opinion, as a big part of the Internet is nowadays Flash based, and usually these file contain text and links. Crawling along can be vital for some full-Flash websites.
Interested? There’s an entire 47 minute presentation about this topic, available here.
To be clear, as the video also presents, Google was already searching the content of the SWF files and as such the static texts in it. But it wasn’t executing the code, and thus missing dynamic content, like link that are generated on the run (e.g. varBaseURL + “index.html”).
Apparently so. It seems that Adobe and Apple have finally teamed up to develop a Flash Player for iPhone.
The problem? Adobe’s Flash Player is considered simply to inappropriate let’s say, too unreliable for the iPhone. Also, it would probably open the door for a lot of vulnerabilities and iPhone bugs. Most of all, it would allow the development of very diverse and functional applications for iPhone, WITHOUT using the iPhone SDK or anything that is under iPhone’s control.
The alternative? Using Adobe’s Flash Player Lite, but this is considered by Apple (and others too) to be to “lite” and not implementing enough of the standard features a user might expect.
The solution? Apple and Adobe are now developing a completely new Flash Player, specifically tuned for the iPhone, according to Wired.com. I’m curious what the final product will support in terms of functionality and flexibility.
SWX – worth looking into it. Why? SWX is a native data format for the Flash platform. Basically, one can take any data type, serialize it and pass it to PHP, for example, where it will still be the same data type. Amazing, no?
To add to this, SWX is also much more transparent, simple and intuitive to use. For more details, check here.
Ok, but now comes the example presented here. Once you get this going, it should be simple to extrapolate the logic of it all.
I personally had some problems with the sample. I managed to code the PHP side and test it in the Service Explorer without problems. But when I implemented the Flash side, it just wouldn’t connect. Initially I thought it’s because of the Flash security for local executions. It was much simpler…
See this line:
or this one:
swx.gateway = "http://localhost:8888/php/swx.php";
First of all, check if you have the same path (php/swx.php was in my case swx_php_1.01/php/swx.php). Also, 8888 is not too often the HTTP port. Try 80 or 8080. In my case this was why the communication between Flash and PHP wasn’t possible.
Told you, simple. But might take some time to see.
I have some code written in Flash CS3 I recently moved to the Eclipse / Flex SDK combination. In order to do so, I converted my .fla file into .swc, to be able to access the objects in the library of the .fla.
Still, some of the classes in the library were not visible to the .as file in Eclipse, even though the classes were clearly present. Flex 2.0.1 patch was already installed, so that couldn’t be the problem.
After a bit of googling I found out that this was due to the fact that there was no actual instance of that class in the SWC. A good description of this problem and its solution can be found here.